Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Encounters

Saturday night at Byxbee's was great. I saw a lot of folks I haven't seen in awhile - people from the old Funny Bone, etc. It is always nice to see old friends!

However, just when I least expect it, something weird always happens. I'm never sure when people are trying to pull my leg or if it is just a strange situation.

So, here is the story. I had just finished my first set, when a man walked up to me. He asked me if I knew who Johnny Paycheck was. Of course, I do. First, I love music history. I may not remember trash day, but I can remember anything strange or small about music (This actually also applies to the Civil War as well.) In addition, my parents loved country music. I can remember my mom and dad singing along to it on the radio.

Back to my story...I tell the guy some of the songs by Johnny Paycheck. This guy begins to tell me about the story that landed Johnny Paycheck in jail.

In case you aren't familiar, Johnny Paycheck is from Greenfield, Ohio. My band played there a few years ago. It is a sleepy little town in southern Ohio. (Very nice people!)

In the mid-1980s, Johnny Paycheck was back home visiting family. A bar fight broke out and in the end, Johnny Paycheck fired a gun. He grazed a guy in the head. A few years later, Johnny was convicted and sent to the Chillicothe Correctional Facility. He served two years.

Flash back to Saturday night. This guy standing at the bar tells me he is the guy Johnny Paycheck shot.

True? Who knows. But, it was very entertaining!

No comments:

Post a Comment