Saturday, February 14, 2009

It's Presidents Day!

Happy Presidents Day!

Sometimes we forget the idea behind federal holidays. I know, the temptation to just enjoy a day off work is sometimes too much. Of course, as a full time musician, I don't have paid holidays and I'm home during the day. I'm almost always off on Mondays. So it may be a little easier for me to find time to reflect.

Presidents Day was originally celebrated on Washington's birthday - February 22. However, Congress eventually changed the date to the third Monday in February. It now falls between Lincoln's birthday on February 12 and Washington's.

I don't think those that know me will be surprised that Lincoln is my favorite president. It's probably because I love studying the American Civil War. I just know more about him (Although, I will admit, my wife, who loves presidential history, has been teaching me about the others!)

If I'm not careful, this could become a long essay on everything I admire about Lincoln. Instead, I want to mention something about my nephew, who is 10 years old.

Last year for his spring break, we took him to Gettysburg. He talked us in taking him again on his last day of school. Before he returned to school, we took him to Springfield to see the Lincoln sites. He had so much fun, but more importantly, we had a blast with him.

Just a few weeks ago, he called to tell us there is an essay contest in his local newspaper. Kids are to write about their favorite President. He chose Lincoln!

So, on this Presidents Day, I hope you will share your love of history (what ever type of history you like) with someone else. When I was young, my uncle inspired my interest in the Civil War. I feel so honored to spark a similar interest in my nephew.

Again, Happy Presidents Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment