Monday, September 21, 2009

When a Cloud Covers a Celebration

Recently, I was scheduled to perform with my band at a wedding reception. Unfortunately, a life event intervened just the day before with the passing of a close relative of the couple.

Sometimes, these things happen. If we could control them, we would keep our dearest family members with us forever! We would never need to consider how to address the passing at a celebration.

However, we don’t have that control.

I encountered a similar situation when my mom passed. It was just days before a wedding reception I was contracted to play. I knew I couldn’t let the couple know what had happened. I wanted them to fully enjoy their special day. Much later, they did learn of my personal tragedy. I was grateful they didn’t have any idea on their day.

What’s worse, I think, is when the bride and groom have a family death. They have planned for a year or more for this day. After they make the decision whether to continue with their planned nuptials, they do have several choices on how to mark the passing (or not).

At a recent wedding reception where my band played, this exact situation occurred. I thought the couple showed such grace. The “spouse” acknowledged the family member on behalf of the couple. The couple was also sympathetic that guests weren’t quite ready to jump up and dance.

It was amazing, though. After awhile, everyone was ready to let loose. It was still a great celebration.

While we never want this type of thing to happen, we all do the best we can. Acknowledge what you are able to do and I wish you all the strength and grace you need for your situation!

No comments:

Post a Comment